Community Engagement Tutor/Mentor: Jumpstart
Rutgers University-Newark’s Jumpstart members have the unique opportunity to inspire young children to learn, serve within a local community, collaborate with others on a team, and build professional skills. All Jumpstart members receive high quality training to help them implement Jumpstart’s outcome-based program, promote children’s school success, and build family involvement.
- Able to interact with children at their level in a classroom, which includes being able to move around the classroom to participate in various activities with the children.
- Able to facilitate and participate fully in Jumpstart classroom sessions for 2 hours each session. Session time includes a variety of activities such as Reading, Circle Time, and activity stations during Center Time, each lasting for intervals of approximately 5-45 minutes.
- Able to participate fully in additional scheduled hours known as classroom assistance time, which involves activities such as helping with snack time, assisting teachers with children’s activities, and engaging children in outdoor play. This participation involves working with preschool-age children and other adults in a preschool classroom as well as the ability to follow directions.
- Able to demonstrate effective reading and writing skills in English in order to implement the Jumpstart program. Includes reading children’s books, song charts, and materials in the classroom. Also, includes writing children’s names and demonstrating how to write words and letters for children.
- Able to participate fully in on-going mandatory in-service Jumpstart trainings, which include writing reflections and responding to questions.
- Able to participate fully in weekly team planning meetings and Jumpstart session preparation.
- Able to verbally communicate with peers, Jumpstart staff, children, children’s families and classroom teachers.
- Able to attend periodic service days and events outside of regularly scheduled service, occasionally held on weekends.
- Able to transport self to service site in a timely and reliable fashion.
- Must wear Jumpstart T-shirt during service hours.
Jumpstart-Community Engagement Scholars are under the direct supervision of the site’s Program Manager, but may have to report to a designated Team Leader, while providing service on site.
All Jumpstart members must successfully pass Rutgers University’s protection of minors online training module, as well as complete a successful background check.
Work Study Hourly Wage (starting): $9.00/hour